Christchurch Struck by 6.3M Earthquake, UFO Caught On Video
(Update 10:36 A.M. 2/22/2011: I was curious to know if aliens had taken notice of this event – how could none notice, especially if their is a hidden communications network, like an alien Internet – and after a search saw this link at the bottom of Google: UFO OVER NEW ZEALAND EARTHQUAKE 21 FEB 2011. I segmented the relevant frames below and added some arrows to save people time, and also because the video is annoying and pretentious. The pictures are below. The UFO seems to go down into the column of smoke, perhaps to hide its initial entry, but then goes forward:)
Videos on Youtube:
New Zealand Earthquake Kills 65
6.3 Magnitude quake strikes Christchurch at lunchtime, badly damaging buildings
from VOA News
New Zealand’s prime minister says at least 65 people are dead in an earthquake that struck the city of Christchurch, collapsing numerous buildings as people worked inside.
Prime Minister John Key said the 6.3-magnitude quake, which struck around lunchtime Tuesday, is “an absolute tragedy” for the city and its people.
Police reported fatalities in several parts of the city and numerous injuries. They say two buses were crushed by falling buildings.
Many buildings in the city center collapsed, and Christchurch cathedral was heavily damaged. Power and telephone lines are cut in some places. Some roads caved in and at least one bridge has been damaged.
Thousands of people have fled buildings and gathered in the streets of Christchurch as the city is now being hit by a series of aftershocks. – More here.
Extremely dangerous shallow aftershock in Christchurch, New Zealand
by Armand Vervaeck and James Daniell
Last update: 2/22/2011 5:26 AM
This article will be ended as it is getting too long. We have copied the last 10 updates in the second part. Click here for the second part for our continuous reporting on the Christchurch earthquake.
UPDATE 05:11 UTC : We are sorry to tell that 17 people have been reported killed so far (official statement by the Christchurch police)
UPDATE 05:00 UTC : State of Emergency has been called for at least the next 5 days. This not for eventual looting but to give all possible freedom for emergency services.
UPDATE 04:57 UTC : Pyne Gould Corporation has confirmed that staff from the building are missing, but would not say how many.
UPDATE 04:53 UTC : We repeat that the destruction is NOT widespread and residential areas at the outskirts of town have not been damaged severely. Most of the damage is located in the city center and in Lyttelton which was the epicenter of the earthquake. Also Brighton got the full shaking load. – More here.
Christchurch quake: Fears toll will rise sharply as night falls
2/23/2011 Updated 12:13 AM
At least 100 people remain trapped in the ruins of Christchurch tonight following a devastating earthquake which claimed at least 65 lives.
Construction workers and search and rescue specialists are toiling under floodlights on a cold and wet night to dig out survivors and the dead from buildings flattened by the earthquake that ripped the city apart today.
Prime Minister John Key announced tonight that “at least 65 people have lost their lives” and noted the rescuers were still scrabbling through the ruins of collapsed buildings looking for injured and trapped survivors – and bodies.
Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker tonight said more than 100 people were trapped in about six sites – but it was possible more were trapped in individual houses.
TV3 has had unconfirmed reports that the death toll could reach between 200 and 300.
The Government is holding a press conference at 5.30am this morning where more details will be revealed.
This is likely to include an updated death toll.
Police have launched a hotline, 0800 779997, that people can call to report missing people.
The death toll is already the second highest in a New Zealand earthquake – outranked only by the 256 people who died in the violent 7.9 1931 Hawke’s Bay quake, whose 70th anniversary was marked earlier this month.
Police have reported “multiple fatalities” at several locations in the downtown area, including where two buses were crushed by falling buildings.
Today’s shake, measured at magnitude 6.3, followed the massive 7.1 tremor last September 4. That one struck in the early hours of the morning and no one was killed.
Today’s earthquake jolted the city at 12.51pm, the worst possible time with the central city packed with lunch-hour shoppers, office workers and many school children.
Victims were crushed to death as buildings collapsed, many of them weakened in last year’s event.
The quake was not as powerful as the September 4 shake but was much shallower, leading to greater damage.
Scientists put the epicentre at 10km southeast of the city – apparently in the middle of the harbour at Lyttelton, the city’s coastal port – at a depth of only 5km.
About 30 people were thought to be trapped in the Pyne Gould Guinness building, its several floors pancaked on each other and tilted at a crazy angle.
In the ruined CTV television building a number of Japanese students, newly arrived [from] Japan, were believed to be in the rubble. – More here.
Click here for the USGS (United States Geological Survey) information on this quake.
Click here for previous NZ earthquake news and data with maps.